TrackDollar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New coin to collect, and possibly spend

4 posters

Go down

New coin to collect, and possibly spend Empty New coin to collect, and possibly spend

Post  dctim Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:36 am

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/08/star-wars-coins/

Soon-to-be-minted Star War coins will be legal tender on the tiny South Pacific island nation of Niue, but you probably wouldn’t want to use them to buy a drink in the Mos Eisley Cantina.

The collectible coins — some made of pure silver and packaged in special cases that hold four coins, others made of silver-plated base metal and sold in blister packs — will retail for considerably more than their $2 face value.

Each of the two cases will house a set of four 1-ounce silver coins and sell for $393. The Darth Vader case will emit the sound of the Sith Lord’s instantly recognizable breathing upon opening. It will hold coins with the images of Emperor Palpatine, the Death Star, a stormtrooper and Vader himself.

The Millennium Falcon case will replicate the sound of the ship’s “jump to light speed” from the movies and will hold coins featuring four famous Star Wars duos: Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda, R2-D2 and C-3PO, and Han Solo and Chewbacca. The sets will be limited to 7,500 of each coin.

The silver-plated base-metal Star Wars coins, featuring 40 characters from the sci-fi saga, will sell for about $20 each. The run will be limited to 50,000 of each coin, with a 40-coin holder coming soon.

The deluxe cases and the first wave of 10 base-metal coins are available now for pre-order from the New Zealand Mint and are scheduled to ship in November. See images of all the coins and the two cases in the gallery above.
dctim
dctim
New

Back to top Go down

New coin to collect, and possibly spend Empty Re: New coin to collect, and possibly spend

Post  sends2aaron Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:27 am

...Huh?

dctim wrote:http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/08/star-wars-coins/

Soon-to-be-minted Star War coins will be legal tender on the tiny South Pacific island nation of Niue, but you probably wouldn’t want to use them to buy a drink in the Mos Eisley Cantina.

The collectible coins — some made of pure silver and packaged in special cases that hold four coins, others made of silver-plated base metal and sold in blister packs — will retail for considerably more than their $2 face value.

Each of the two cases will house a set of four 1-ounce silver coins and sell for $393. The Darth Vader case will emit the sound of the Sith Lord’s instantly recognizable breathing upon opening. It will hold coins with the images of Emperor Palpatine, the Death Star, a stormtrooper and Vader himself.

The Millennium Falcon case will replicate the sound of the ship’s “jump to light speed” from the movies and will hold coins featuring four famous Star Wars duos: Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda, R2-D2 and C-3PO, and Han Solo and Chewbacca. The sets will be limited to 7,500 of each coin.

The silver-plated base-metal Star Wars coins, featuring 40 characters from the sci-fi saga, will sell for about $20 each. The run will be limited to 50,000 of each coin, with a 40-coin holder coming soon.

The deluxe cases and the first wave of 10 base-metal coins are available now for pre-order from the New Zealand Mint and are scheduled to ship in November. See images of all the coins and the two cases in the gallery above.
sends2aaron
sends2aaron
New

Back to top Go down

New coin to collect, and possibly spend Empty Re: New coin to collect, and possibly spend

Post  dctim Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:11 pm

Simple, Aaron. Spend $ 400 for 4 silver coins. Get $ 8 worth of face value from them on obscure South Pacific Island.

I'm kinda suprised you haven't alreay gone for this "deal" Rolling Eyes
dctim
dctim
New

Back to top Go down

Post  Kalisiin Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:03 am

That's what my reaction was, too. I was like...ya gotta be kiddin' me!!
Kalisiin
Kalisiin
New

http://www.kalisiin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt_How Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:50 am

Wow how stupid. Never understood why Star Wars is so very popular. It was an OK movie but not really ever that great IMHO.

Matt_How
New

Back to top Go down

Post  Kalisiin Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:27 am

Well, I am one who loves both star Wars and Star Trek.
All I can say, Matt, is...if you don't understand...then you never will. And I can't explain it to you, either.

All-time best of Star Wars Movies: The Empire Strikes Back & Revenge of the Sith tie for best,

Star Trek - best there has to be split into two parts, old and new Generation....and the movie "Generations" stands alone, as it contains BOTH generations. Of the old generation movies...it's really tough, I liked 2, 3, 4, and 6 best. these were: Wrath of Khan, The Search For Spock, The Voyage Home, and The Undiscovered Country.

For the new generation...some may disagree, but, for me...Insurrection was the absolute best!! I know some would go with First Contact...which was good...but not as good, at least for me....as Insurrection was.

Then there is the "alternate-universe" Star Trek movie....the one in which Vulcan gets destroyed. That one was just weird.
Kalisiin
Kalisiin
New

http://www.kalisiin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt_How Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:58 am

Kalisiin wrote:Well, I am one who loves both star Wars and Star Trek.
All I can say, Matt, is...if you don't understand...then you never will. And I can't explain it to you, either.

All-time best of Star Wars Movies: The Empire Strikes Back & Revenge of the Sith tie for best,

Star Trek - best there has to be split into two parts, old and new Generation....and the movie "Generations" stands alone, as it contains BOTH generations. Of the old generation movies...it's really tough, I liked 2, 3, 4, and 6 best. these were: Wrath of Khan, The Search For Spock, The Voyage Home, and The Undiscovered Country.

For the new generation...some may disagree, but, for me...Insurrection was the absolute best!! I know some would go with First Contact...which was good...but not as good, at least for me....as Insurrection was.

Then there is the "alternate-universe" Star Trek movie....the one in which Vulcan gets destroyed. That one was just weird.
I like Star Trek I never understood the grand popularity of Star Wars though. It was alright but not really fantastic in my opinion even Mark Hammel (sp?) said once in an interview that the popularity of it surprised him. Insurrrection was a great star trek movie. I did not much care for Star Trek HQ it just didn't seem to fit but that is what you get without gene involved.

Matt_How
New

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down