TrackDollar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Kill the Dollar Bill proposal

+2
Matt_How
dctim
6 posters

Go down

Another Kill the Dollar Bill proposal Empty Another Kill the Dollar Bill proposal

Post  dctim Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:14 am

If they are going to kill George, they might as well follow the Canadian model and kill Tom, too.

http://news.yahoo.com/congress-looks-doing-away-1-bill-083418974--politics.html
dctim
dctim
New

Back to top Go down

Another Kill the Dollar Bill proposal Empty Re: Another Kill the Dollar Bill proposal

Post  Matt_How Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:16 pm

Ya I saw that just a few months after they killed the prez dollar program because it wasn't cost effective. Are they going to kill the dollar bill? Not likely

Matt_How
New

Back to top Go down

Another Kill the Dollar Bill proposal Empty Re: Another Kill the Dollar Bill proposal

Post  Kalisiin Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:15 pm

I sure hope they don't get rid of the dollar bill.

I can't see getting to mark as many $5's as I do $1's...
Kalisiin
Kalisiin
New

http://www.kalisiin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:53 am

I read a different article on this (that I can't find now) that said a $1 coin costs 30 cents to make and a $1 bill costs 5 cents. The coin lasts about 30 years and the bill lasts about 4.7 years. Here's the math for that:

30 / 4.7 * 5 = 31.9

30 year life span for the coin divided by the 4.7 year lifespan of a bill times the 5 cent cost of a bill = the cost of bills to print for 30 years to replace one coin.

So, in the next 30 years, presuming we switch to a coin for the dollar, the governent would save 1.9 cents for each coin minted. But that's just based on the cost of minting versus printing and the average life span of each. That doesn't include the cost of switching the whole system over to dollar coins and the very real possibility of the cost of the raw materials, aka metals, going up in cost.

My question is this: Does 1.9 cents saved per coin add up to $4.4 billion over the next 30 years?
Tony
Tony
New

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:25 pm

Hey,

I was in Germany at the time the Euro got introduced.

Some countries had a 1,2 bill before EURO replaced this with a coin.

There is some real good money to make for some companies, other will have to spend a lot, but for sure it will not save much money for the government.
Most likely some member of some lobby try to push the change in US.

People will need wallets with a coin compartment, no way people will carry this amount of coins in the pocket
All businesses need new cash drawer
Any machine receiving cash will need new hardware and software to handle these new coins
All banks will have to change processes, new automatic counting machines etc

etc etc, only a few

I know there are some countries in Europe that try for a while now to get rid of the EURO coins and get paper money back, because its lots easier to handle, stack and stock.

my opinion:
I agree, it will not save any money for the government, it will cost, the real reason that some people try to get the coin out must be something else.

Maybe, lol, it will be easier for people to handle the big inflation coming soon, then a $5 bill will have the value of $1.And $1,$2 will be just some stupid change nobody really cares for ;-)

Markus
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://trackdollar.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Kalisiin Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:39 pm

More likely some influential Senator has a nephew in the metal business.
That's how things get done in America.
Kalisiin
Kalisiin
New

http://www.kalisiin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FURBjr Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:08 pm

I may be able to shed some light on this topic. Several years ago I did some research into the issue. According to the sources (citation needed) I looked at, the great advantage in coins is NOT the durability of the coin. The reason some people want coins to be used more is because of the national debt. Coins minted by the mint must be purchased by the Federal Reserve Bank at face value, whereas bills, printed by the Beaureau of Engraving and Printing. The FED buys the bills for cost, then lends the bills into circulation.
FURBjr
FURBjr
New

http://freedombookclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down