TrackDollar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New County In South Dakota??

3 posters

Go down

A New County In South Dakota?? Empty A New County In South Dakota??

Post  Kalisiin Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:35 am

Apparently, there will be a new County...or, at least a new County NAME....in South Dakota.

Shannon County, South Dakota is changing it's name...the change should be effective soon.  See below:

• Oglala Lakota County, SD: It's not often that counties get renamed, but when they
do, there's usually an interesting story behind the decision. Shannon County, South
Dakota had the distinction of being the most heavily Indian county in the entire
nation, but the county's very name was an insult in and of itself, since it was
named after Peter Shannon, a 19th century judge who was instrumental in seizing
lands from the Sioux.

Shannon's history was not well-known, but after a local leader uncovered and
publicized his back story, Democratic state Rep. Kevin Killer succeeded in putting a
measure on the ballot to change the jurisdiction's name to Oglala Lakota County.
Over 80 percent of voters approved the change last month, which will take effect
soon.

Incidentally, Sitewide, we have one hit in Shannon County, soon to be Oglala Lakota County.
Take a guess at who has it. I'll give ya a hint, he has four letters in his name, and it starts with "T"
Kalisiin
Kalisiin
New

http://www.kalisiin.com

Back to top Go down

A New County In South Dakota?? Empty Re: A New County In South Dakota??

Post  dctim Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:37 pm

Very Cool and good for them.

I have already proposed changing the name of the DC based football team to The Washington Flatulence, since their play over the last 10 years isn't even up to the level of insulting Native Americans.
dctim
dctim
New

Back to top Go down

Post  Kalisiin Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:03 pm

dctim wrote:Very Cool and good for them.

I have already proposed changing the name of the DC based football team to The Washington Flatulence, since their play over the last 10 years isn't even up to the level of insulting Native Americans.

The Washington Flatulence... Razz Laughing

How about The Washington Bi-Labial Fricatives?

I agree they need to change the name from the Redskins, but I don't think they ever will unless absolutely FORCED to, either legally, or by the NFL themselves, and I don't see that happening any time soon. Too bad, too.

Then again, Cleveland should change it's team name from the Indians, too.
I have a small vested interest in that one, since our local team, The Carolina Mudcats (who play in Zebulon, NC...the next town over from Wendell), are an Advanced-A affiliate of Cleveland.
Kalisiin
Kalisiin
New

Back to top Go down

Post  Kalisiin Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:06 pm

By the way, I already sent Markus an updated auto-fill map for South Dakota reflecting the new County Name.

Shannon County, soon to be Oglala Lakota County....is along the southern border of SD, the second county in from the western edge of the state.
So look for the update on your auto-fill maps sometime soon.

I have also updated this on the County Challenge Spreadsheet.

Because we had a hit in Shannon, I marked that date with an asterisk, indicating it was hit under the old County Name of Shannon - but that is now Oglala Lakota County.
Kalisiin
Kalisiin
New

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan From Rochester Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:38 pm

Interesting.

Lakota is the Sioux name for themselves.

Looking on Wikipedia: Oglala is the name of part of that tribe. It's also the name of a town in that county. Also, a support ship of that name was sunk at Pearl Harbor. Ogallala is an alternate spelling.

I've heard the Washington Redskins called the Potomac Drainage Basin Indigenous Peoples. I just call them Washington to avoid using the nickname, and many announcers seem to do the same. The problem with the Cleveland Indians isn't so much the name, but the caricatured Chief Wahoo logo. They've started to use a plain red C.

Alan From Rochester
New

http://alanfromrochester.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down