TrackDollar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Randomly picking a city

3 posters

Go down

Randomly picking a city Empty Randomly picking a city

Post  Matt_How Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:51 pm

My wife and I have an idea for a future vacation Pick a random US city in the US and head that way picking up all the geocaches within a half mile of the route but the problem is how do we really pick a random city? Is there a way that all cities in the US could go into a virtual hat so to speak and one gets picked? I am not talking all the big cities I mean every village of even if it is like population of 10 people or something? Maybe pick the city by zip code, can we pick a random zip code somehow?

Matt_How
New

Back to top Go down

Randomly picking a city Empty Re: Randomly picking a city

Post  Diamondback Dave Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:22 am

I have all of the ZIP codes on a spreadsheet and use that to pick the random ZIP code of the week for the WG threads. I found a randomizer online to help me out with that.

If you like, I can e-mail ya a copy of the spreadsheet. PM me your e-mail addy if you want it.

Diamondback Dave
New

Back to top Go down

Post  Kalisiin Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:59 pm

Personally, it seems to me you could throw a dart at a map, while you are blindfolded.
Maybe even two or three darts...and make your trip go thru all the points of the darts...as close as possible, of course.

I know MY next trip is gonna be Mount Rushmore...and I'm doing it in such a way as to insure passing thru MN and ND!! This is the traditional way for Trackers to pick their vacation destinations....where do you need hits?? LOL
Kalisiin
Kalisiin
New

http://www.kalisiin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt_How Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:31 pm

Kalisiin wrote:Personally, it seems to me you could throw a dart at a map, while you are blindfolded.
Maybe even two or three darts...and make your trip go thru all the points of the darts...as close as possible, of course.

I know MY next trip is gonna be Mount Rushmore...and I'm doing it in such a way as to insure passing thru MN and ND!! This is the traditional way for Trackers to pick their vacation destinations....where do you need hits?? LOL
No I don't want to do it that way. I feel it will not truly be random if I did it that way since you kind of know where places are and besides by zip code gives the bigger cities more chances this is fair since it will bring us to a different area of the city. By getting all the geocaches along the route it is doubtful we will get to our destination. I plan on setting the gps to pedestrian mode and see what route it takes us there. Doing this will avoid freeways which would actually make the trip longer and use more gas.

Matt_How
New

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down