TrackDollar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coming Clean - I'm a hacker

2 posters

Go down

Coming Clean - I'm a hacker Empty Coming Clean - I'm a hacker

Post  dctim Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:10 pm

Well, perhaps not in the first 20 meanings, but, yes I'm a hacker, specifically, Nethack.

I first played "Rogue" on a Unix box back in college. Simple ASCII graphics, AWDX "arrow" keys to navigate, see critter, kill critter. Nethack was the DOS (as in MSDOS, pre-Windows) port and semi-update to Rogue. I have never gotten tired of playing this, it has a real "bad old days of computers" feel.

Sometimes when your character dies, a Bones file is created with their stuff, corpse and ghost. A future character has a chance to stumble onto some free goodies from the previous dead guy, but some of those items might be cursed and you might have to deal with the ghost, in addition to whatever caused its death.

About 6 months ago, I found a cool add-on: "Hearse", a Bones-sharing app. It allows the Bones that my dead guys create to be swapped with some Bones from some other user. I have swapped nearly 100 Bones files with the Hearse server, which hugely expands the opportunity for me to get some pretty cool piles of goodies.

If you are of a mind, download Nethack (there are ports to most every operating system) and try it out. Hearse is available for the Windows and Unix versions (Hearse)

dctim
dctim
New

Back to top Go down

Coming Clean - I'm a hacker Empty Re: Coming Clean - I'm a hacker

Post  Jack002 Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:24 pm

Ok, so text games? Did you play the Zork games? Hitchhikers Guide?
Jack002
Jack002
New

http://mewe.com/i/jacktaylor71

Back to top Go down

Post  dctim Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:17 pm

Jack002 wrote:Ok, so text games? Did you play the Zork games? Hitchhikers Guide?
Played Zork a long time ago with a computer system which is now far, far away. I'm guessing I could find it ported to a more modern environment.

Didn't do HG.
dctim
dctim
New

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack002 Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:21 pm

Zork was great. I recall a forrest where people have made maps to navigate. going east and then west did not make a net 0 move.
Jack002
Jack002
New

http://mewe.com/i/jacktaylor71

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down