TrackDollar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mark Twain commemorative coin for 2016

2 posters

Go down

Mark Twain commemorative coin for 2016 Empty Mark Twain commemorative coin for 2016

Post  dctim Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:42 pm

In addition to being a casual collector, I'm a huge Twain fan, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Twain
dctim
dctim
New

Back to top Go down

Mark Twain commemorative coin for 2016 Empty Re: Mark Twain commemorative coin for 2016

Post  Kalisiin Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:24 pm

dctim wrote:In addition to being a casual collector, I'm a huge Twain fan, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Twain

NICE!!!
I am a huge fan of Mark Twain...I will have to grab some.

I actually found a page where the legislation creating this coin for 2016 is laid out...so this is going to in fact be legal tender coins and not just junk put out as a commemorative and no actual monetary value.  THESE COINS WILL IN FACT BE PRODUCED BY THE US MINT AS LEGAL TENDER.

Interesting that they are going to do a $1 coin and a $5 coin.

We have not had a $5 coin in over a hundred years. Appears that supplies are going to be VERY LIMITED, though. Which, from a collector's standpoint, can be good or bad, depending on your reasons for being a numismatist.

In my perspective, I wish the coin would be much more common. I do not collect coins in order to sell/trade them with the purpose being making money. I am a numismatist for HISTORICAL PURPOSES. My prized collected item is an 1868 2-cent piece. It has little monetary value as a collectible coin, because it is not not very great condition. But it is HISTORICAL in that we have not had a 2-cent coin since.

I'd really love to get my hot little hands on some Confederate money. And not because I like or support the confederacy, but, again, because of the historical value. Problem is that stuff is so rare as to be extremely expensive.
Kalisiin
Kalisiin
New

http://www.kalisiin.com

Back to top Go down

Mark Twain commemorative coin for 2016 Empty Re: Mark Twain commemorative coin for 2016

Post  dctim Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:02 pm

I only buy commemoratives directly from the mint - no fuss and I don't have to worry about the tourist trap crapola at the coin shows
dctim
dctim
New

Back to top Go down

Post  Kalisiin Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:49 am

dctim wrote:I only buy commemoratives directly from the mint - no fuss and I don't have to worry about the tourist trap crapola at the coin shows

Precisely.
I never do the coin shows. I need to start making more money so I can start getting proof sets every year again.
Kalisiin
Kalisiin
New

http://www.kalisiin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down