TrackDollar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Considering Relocation...

5 posters

Go down

Considering Relocation... Empty Considering Relocation...

Post  Kalisiin Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:36 pm

This is totally way off the topic of currency tracking, but, since we have people here from many areas of the country, it seems like a good place to ask...

Things are becoming un-manageable for us in Northeastern PA, and we are seriously considering relocating to another part of the country.

This is what we are looking for:

A fairly affordable housing market
A decent employment market
A better winter climate.

Can anyone recommend their own area as a possible place to relocate to...or know of a place that might be worth looking into?

The house and land we have here is just too big, and the monthly mortgage is just plain too high, and no one will help us with a re-fi or a mortgage modification, and we'd rather sell and get out than lose the place. If we can land on our feet, in another area, all the better.

So how about it? any ideas, suggestions? Anywhere is better than here...
Kalisiin
Kalisiin
New

http://www.kalisiin.com

Back to top Go down

Considering Relocation... Empty Re: Considering Relocation...

Post  dctim Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:59 am

From Forbes, June 27, 2012

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2012/06/27/the-best-places-for-business/

I can't recommend any of these, personally. The DC market is good job wise (for the moment), but cost of living is crazy ridiculous.
dctim
dctim
New

Back to top Go down

Post  Kalisiin Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:38 pm

Thanks for that, Tim.

This is NOT in the immediate future...but we ARE putting out feelers and keeping our options open.

I DO suspect that, one way or another, within five years I will no longer be a resident of PA. And perhaps within a year. It just depends on how things pan out up here, and n the places we are considering.

It was nice to see Raleigh, NC was #2 and Durham, NC #14...as that is one of the areas we are considering.

Now I find it hard to believe Austin, TX is #9...that place was n the toilet when I left it eight years ago. hurricane Katrina's aftermath screwed the place for anyone who didn't already have a steady job...as refugees began getting hiring preference, leaving those of us who'd lived there for years out in the cold.

The other two places we had talked about...were not in the top 25. There were a few other places that looked like they might be livable for what we are looking for, but I told my mom in no uncertain terms that if she even CONSIDERED Utah, I'd have her committed. So the idea that they have a #1 and a #6 city is mind-boggling. I wouldn't move there on a bet.

Anyway...the info is useful. We are not up and moving tomorrow, or maybe not even for a year or more. There's a lot to consider. But, like I said, I do not think it very likely I'll be in PA five years from now. I wonder what that would go for on Intrade, LOL.
Kalisiin
Kalisiin
New

Back to top Go down

Post  dctim Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:59 am

For what it's worth, Forbes puts one of these lists out every year. They also do a Summer jobs issue, but I doubt that applies to you.
dctim
dctim
New

Back to top Go down

Post  Kalisiin Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:41 pm

dctim wrote:For what it's worth, Forbes puts one of these lists out every year. They also do a Summer jobs issue, but I doubt that applies to you.

Nope. That would more likely apply to my mom, as she is 66 years old and doesn't really want to work full-time, full-year. Nor should she have to.
Kalisiin
Kalisiin
New

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt_How Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:13 pm

What you are asking for is nearly impossible, the closest to what you are looking for thatg I can think of is Fargo North Dakota but the weather there is burr colder than where you are. People want to live where it is warm so when that many people live there the housing cost goes up. Las Vegas might be right up your ally if you can stand the dryness but expect a high water bill. I wouldn't want to live there but you would fit right in. Kentucky and Tenn and MO are nice areas but not sure on the job market.

Matt_How
New

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:42 pm

I lived in Las Vegas for over 6 years. Personally, I like the Phoenix area a lot better. The cost of living here is a little higher, but the crime is lower, and as a whole, people here are just friendlier.

Also, entertainment here is much more affordable than Vegas. Shows and concerts here are most times under $50 per ticket. Vegas is most times $100 or more. We also have all 4 major sports here, plus Arizona State. If you're a sports fan, that's far better than a Triple A baseball team and UNLV.
Tony
Tony
New

Back to top Go down

Post  ELECTRIC RED Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:47 pm

Sounds Like a winner to me!!!
ELECTRIC RED
ELECTRIC RED
New

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum