TrackDollar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is your furthest distance hit that is a prime number

4 posters

Go down

What is your furthest distance hit that is a prime number Empty What is your furthest distance hit that is a prime number

Post  dctim Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:24 am

Today's geeky question -- What is your furthest distance hit that is a prime number?

Mine happens to be a hit in Sacramento from Oct 8, 2011 - 2,351 miles away - 2,351 is a prime number.

How I got this result ...

Since I keep all my hits in a spreadsheet, I started a new tab and copied my "Miles" column to it. In the second column, I put the "Is Even" function and then I sorted first by "Is Even" and ascending by Miles.

I then copied and pasted my highest few odd mile hits into this tool Prime Number Calculator and found the answer three tries later.
dctim
dctim
New

Back to top Go down

What is your furthest distance hit that is a prime number Empty Re: What is your furthest distance hit that is a prime number

Post  Tony Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:45 am

Mine is 2917 miles from Tempe, AZ to Honolulu, HI on September 30th, 2010.
Tony
Tony
New

Back to top Go down

What is your furthest distance hit that is a prime number Empty Re: What is your furthest distance hit that is a prime number

Post  Kalisiin Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:34 pm

if it is not required to be a single-hit bill, mine is This one which has traveled 8467 miles. It has visited all corners of the country, starting in the Northeast...then to Florida, then to Hawaii, and then to Washington State.

If you want a single-hit only bill, then This hit in Toulon, France qualifies at 4007 miles.

BY THE WAY...you can go to the My Bills page, and sort them all by "Distance Desc." that shows all your bills by total distance traveled, highest to lowest...and it includes multi-hit bills - so, all you need to do, if you want a single-hit bill is look for the highest-distance bill which shows only one hit. Take the mileage listed and plug it in to the prime number calculator provided by tim. Of course, no need to plug it in if you KNOW it isn't prime, example, my next one down is 3,965 miles - and I know that is divisible by 5, so is not prime. and, of course, by definition, no even number is prime...except 2.
in fact, 1, 2, and 3 are all prime numbers. Generally, the higher your number, the less likely that it is prime.

In my case, I lucked out...my highest total-miles bill and my highest single-hit bill both happen to be prime...so I got them on the first try.

Of course...if you have a high-mile total bill with multi-hits...one of THOSE hits...may be longer than your single-hit highest bill, so you should look at them.
Kalisiin
Kalisiin
New

http://www.kalisiin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Diamondback Dave Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:28 pm

Suprised to find with all the long distance hits I have, this is the furthest that is prime:

1307 miles, Peoria, IL

Diamondback Dave
New

Back to top Go down

Post  Kalisiin Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:35 pm

By the way, tim...this was an awesome question!

I wish you would come up with a geeky, nerdy or some other random-type of Question Of The Day...or even Of The Week.
It would get more people coming here to the forums, and build some community.

I'd love to see the day when we are big enough that we can have TD gatherings!
Kalisiin
Kalisiin
New

http://www.kalisiin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down