Hurricane Sandy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hurricane Sandy

Post  Kalisiin on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:31 pm

I hope all our Trackers, myself included, are okay in the wake of Hurricane Sandy.

It is expected to hit my area Mon-Tues. As a result, on those days, I may be offline and out of power.

As it is near the end of the month, the County Challenge maps will be updated once I'm clear of Sandy.

I do not know who all of our Trackers in Sandy's path are, but I do know myself, Markus and DCtim are all in the area, so my hopes that we all come out okay.

Kalisiin
New

Posts: 2386
Join date: 2010-07-30
Age: 43
Location: Saylorsburg, PA

View user profile http://www.kalisiin.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Post  Admin on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:17 pm

Yes,

my house is about 25 miles away from the ocean side Virginia Beach, the map looks like we are getting the south west side of the hurricane here.

I am expecting a power loss too, like always,lol.

I never understood, because:
I lived 40 years in Germany, we had storms there, pretty bad ones, especially at the North Sea cost line, flooding etc.
However, I had maybe 2 or 3 power loss in 40 years of living there. Storms dont do much to the houses, since all houses are build in complete rock, well lets say 95%.

I am living 7 years now in the States, had at least 30 power loss. In my time in Texas every other Thunderstorm would cancel the power for a while.
I am not saying I don't like it in the States, many things are so much better here than Germany, however,
building houses and utility engineering, the people and companies here need to go to Germany to learn how to do it right.

I know many utility companies are private, but still, the government should just make them do it. Put all power lines (or at least in hurricane and tornado areas) into the ground, and build houses that don't fly away when wind speed goes up to 65 mph. Its not that hard and it will create tons of jobs.

And now lets hope I have power to keep TrackDollar running ;-)

Markus

Admin
Admin

Posts: 343
Join date: 2008-09-27

View user profile http://trackdollar.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Post  Kalisiin on Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:02 am

Ahhhh, Markus. You have much to learn about the American business model, my young padawan!!

They do it not RIGHT...and it isn't that they don't know HOW...either. The American business model calls for profit maximization...nothing else matters. Do it as cheaply as possible...and charge as much as the market will bear. Who cares if the power goes out all the time...who cares if the house flies away in 60 MPH winds, that's the buyer's problem, I already got my money.

Mind, I do not agree with this, but I AM telling you just how it is here in America...it really and truly is every man for himself, and if you screw over someone else in the process so be it.

the government won't MAKE them do anything...that would be "socialist" - as if "socialist" was a bad thing.

The basic problem - you already nailed it, Markus. The power companies are mostly private...whereas in Germany, they are nationalized. So, in Germany...they actually care about safety, reliability...all the things the private companies do not care about...because they interfere with the profit margin and the bottom line.

Do I think Europe has all the right answers?? No. But we could use a little moderation here in America...a little less emphasis on PROFIT...and a lot more emphasis on what's best for the people and the consumers.

Well, be safe in the storm...it's gonna be coming right over our heads here in Saylorsburg Mon night-Tues morning...according to the projections. Saylorsburg is dead in the middle of the current cone of probability.

Kalisiin
New

Posts: 2386
Join date: 2010-07-30
Age: 43
Location: Saylorsburg, PA

View user profile http://www.kalisiin.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Post  Matt_How on Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:53 pm

Admin wrote:Yes,

my house is about 25 miles away from the ocean side Virginia Beach, the map looks like we are getting the south west side of the hurricane here.

I am expecting a power loss too, like always,lol.

I never understood, because:
I lived 40 years in Germany, we had storms there, pretty bad ones, especially at the North Sea cost line, flooding etc.
However, I had maybe 2 or 3 power loss in 40 years of living there. Storms dont do much to the houses, since all houses are build in complete rock, well lets say 95%.

I am living 7 years now in the States, had at least 30 power loss. In my time in Texas every other Thunderstorm would cancel the power for a while.
I am not saying I don't like it in the States, many things are so much better here than Germany, however,
building houses and utility engineering, the people and companies here need to go to Germany to learn how to do it right.

I know many utility companies are private, but still, the government should just make them do it. Put all power lines (or at least in hurricane and tornado areas) into the ground, and build houses that don't fly away when wind speed goes up to 65 mph. Its not that hard and it will create tons of jobs.

And now lets hope I have power to keep TrackDollar running ;-)

Markus
In the united states electricity is produced in the most air polluting way possible to get it the cheapest not the best quality. The houses are slapped together using the cheapest material. Just be glad you don't have one of those houses that used dry wall from China. In Germany they recycle everything they can in the United states almost everything gets tossed in the garbage. For example, US McDonalds, everything goes in the garbage, German McDonalds someone comes out at the end of your meal and separates your tray for recycling. Welcome to the throw away society.

Matt_How
New

Posts: 477
Join date: 2009-11-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Post  Kalisiin on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:16 pm

Well, we are okay after Hurricane Sandy.

We were out of power for 24 hours, and had a few shingles blown off the roof. We got lucky, a lot of people, even close by us...got it a lot worse.

I hope everyone here that was affected came out okay.

Kalisiin
New

Posts: 2386
Join date: 2010-07-30
Age: 43
Location: Saylorsburg, PA

View user profile http://www.kalisiin.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Post  Matt_How on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:11 pm

Kalisiin wrote:Well, we are okay after Hurricane Sandy.

We were out of power for 24 hours, and had a few shingles blown off the roof. We got lucky, a lot of people, even close by us...got it a lot worse.

I hope everyone here that was affected came out okay.
It\ is funny how the weather gets really nice right after a big storm, We had strong winds, a remnant of tHe storm reaches us, by then it is no longer a huricane.

Matt_How
New

Posts: 477
Join date: 2009-11-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Post  Kalisiin on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:30 pm

Matt_How wrote:
Kalisiin wrote:Well, we are okay after Hurricane Sandy.

We were out of power for 24 hours, and had a few shingles blown off the roof. We got lucky, a lot of people, even close by us...got it a lot worse.

I hope everyone here that was affected came out okay.
It\ is funny how the weather gets really nice right after a big storm, We had strong winds, a remnant of tHe storm reaches us, by then it is no longer a huricane.

Glad you're ok. I heard there were whitecaps all the way out on Lake Michigan!!

We got the full hurricane, right over our heads, too. This is becoming an annual event here...

Kalisiin
New

Posts: 2386
Join date: 2010-07-30
Age: 43
Location: Saylorsburg, PA

View user profile http://www.kalisiin.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Post  ELECTRIC RED on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:07 pm

There are always white caps on Lake Michigan this time of year, but I'm sure they were a bit bigger than normal. We had strong winds here, power was knocked out for a short time, but most of this area made it out ok. The worse to hit Michigan was east of where I live. I'm glad all is well with our fellow trackers.

ELECTRIC RED
New

Posts: 592
Join date: 2010-11-07
Location: Munith, MI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Post  Diamondback Dave on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:54 pm

Glad to see everyone is doing good.

Diamondback Dave
New

Posts: 497
Join date: 2009-05-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum