Markus...a question...how to increase users?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Markus...a question...how to increase users?

Post  Chavo on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:18 am

I see this has been discussed in the past...but is there anything I can do to help get TrackDollar more users? Aside from spreading bills out around my area and talking to folks, what else can be done? I myself am not able to do anything like a youtube video or anything like that. I've seen T-shirts discussed. And I see Marcus had some bumper stickers made (Do you have any left...I will buy one or two from you!). I'd sure like to help out in any way I can. The new guy wants to know.

Chavo
New

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Markus...a question...how to increase users?

Post  Kalisiin on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:41 am

Chavo wrote: I see this has been discussed in the past...but is there anything I can do to help get TrackDollar more users? Aside from spreading bills out around my area and talking to folks, what else can be done? I myself am not able to do anything like a youtube video or anything like that. I've seen T-shirts discussed. And I see Marcus had some bumper stickers made (Do you have any left...I will buy one or two from you!). I'd sure like to help out in any way I can. The new guy wants to know.

I have tried getting a few friends, some of whom I know from the other site to try it out, with limited success. I hate to say that WG is the 800 pound gorilla n the room, and that is not likely to change, even though I believe this to be a better site (partly because all the good stuff is FREE)
Yes, I donate to Markus regularly, but at least that is my CHOICE...and I don't get good features taken away from me when I don't.

If this site were to get TOO big, I think Markus might be forced to do something similar, because bandwidth just isn't free - and very few people WILL pay for what they can get for free.
I know this first-hand, as I run a text-based RPG - Legend of the Green Dragon. It runs on a Creative commons License, so I cannot MAKE anyone pay in order to play the game. But I CAN offer incentives - extra stuff, to people who DO donate. and I do that. I have a very few loyal supporters and a bunch of freeloaders.

WG solved that problem by taking away features from non-donatng people...or, f you like, offering them only to payng people. Now there is an incentive to donate.

My point is, if TD were to get too big...Markus and TD might have to do similarly.

Kalisiin
New

View user profile http://www.kalisiin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dctim on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:43 am

The best way to get more users is "advertising". That *other* place has benefited from quite a bit of coverage in different kinds of media. Every time there is a new news story, there is a bump in those who go over *there*.

I like the slow growth nature of TrackDollar. This community is more intimate and not nearly as "me too" as that *other* place.

dctim
New

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt_How on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:52 am

A you tube video showing why this is the best tracking site would be a great way to advertise the site. the only real downside I see to this site is the user base. Other than that everything is better.

Matt_How
New

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavo on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:43 pm

You folks all make excellent points. I think someone making a short youtube video would be excellent. Course someone will say..."well go ahead Chavo". But I just can't, my cylops third eye disturbs people. lol. But how about someone just sitting at a desk, talking about trackdollar in a simple, introductory way, not comparing or mentioning another site or anything. To namedrop, W5WMW made a relaxed youtube video about wg. Why couldn't one of us do something similar? I mean really, isn't this a great site? I like that TD is small, speaking for myself. We're like a big dysfunctional family, in a twisted kind of way. But even if only a thousand folks saw that video, maybe we could get a few more active members. It's not right that the other site has multiple videos and we none. Just sayin'. The new guy shuts up now.

Chavo
New

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt_How on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:46 pm

I don't have the equipment or believe me I would.

Matt_How
New

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavo on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:53 pm

Thanks Matt, same here, no equipment or know how. I hope somebody can or will. Even just a one or two minute video would be cool. We deserve and should have our own video. Just sayin'.

Chavo
New

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kalisiin on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:55 pm

I'd love to do it, but do not have a webcam.

I have my dual-sites webpage, comparing my stats side-by-side...but there is a "Fun Stuff" page there which might give someone some material to use on such a video...done in Jeff Foxworthy style, this page is
"You just might be addicted to currency tracking if..."
and has 21 things there so far, and if anyone thinks of more, and PM's them to me, I'll add them if I like them and think they are good or funny.

For example, I recently added "If you plan your vacations around where you need hits."

To that end, by the way, on this recent trip to Chicago, I deliberately stopped in Montour County, PA both coming and going...and in total, dumped fifty bills into Montour, so if I don't get a hit there now I'm gonna be pissed. LOL

I also tunked a bunch of bills into Butler County, PA...right near the border with Venango County - I need hits in both of those places. I got like twenty bucks worth of gas in Emlenton, PA to cover that.

Kalisiin
New

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavo on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:56 pm

I did start writing on the back bottom left margin "Track your own bills at" and then a www.trackdollar.com stamp. Maybe that will help a little.

Chavo
New

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dctim on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:20 pm

Mark the front of the bills, as well, Chavo. Your hit rate will go up. I was a "Chicken" (backs only) marker for my first 3,000+ bills over *there* and my hit rate never got over 6 %. Once I started doing the fronts, it eventually got over 12 %.

Use red or blue ink. Red will get the most notice and many people think blue lasts the longest and isn't spat back out by kiosks.

Mark and spend mostly Ones and your hit rate will be as high as it can get. Spend them in high cash businesses and they will be seen by more people.

dctim
New

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavo on Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:28 am

Hey, tnx for the advice Tim, for sure. No, I had been marking the fronts in with red stamps, just not so much on the back. I have started handwriting on the backs in the margins, as an experiment, to see if people responded more or not...but it's too early for me to tell, and it's getting a little tedious...lol. I'll prob keep handwriting "Thank-You", but maybe get one liners for what else I want to say.
Will definately be spending just ones, fives, an occasional ten...but I'll definately stay away from entering the 20's, I hear folks don't get as many hits off of those.

Chavo
New

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dctim on Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:15 am

My hit rate on Ones is nearly 15 %. I do nearly 13 % on Fives. Tens and Twenties check in with 8.5 % and 7.9 %, respectfully.

I use my one-liner on the back of every bill on both the top and bottom margins.

dctim
New

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kalisiin on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:41 pm

I have some of Chavo's bills. His marking style is perfect.

Kalisiin
New

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavo on Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:51 pm

Well, Thank-You Ms. K. Very Happy

Chavo
New

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cylon on Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:12 pm

Kalisiin wrote

"If you plan your vacations around where you need hits."

To that end, by the way, on this recent trip to Chicago, I deliberately stopped in Montour County, PA both coming and going...and in total, dumped fifty bills into Montour, so if I don't get a hit there now I'm gonna be pissed. LOL

I also tunked a bunch of bills into Butler County, PA...right near the border with Venango County - I need hits in both of those places. I got like twenty bucks worth of gas in Emlenton, PA to cover that.[/quote]

This idea really works
Recently I attended a Star Trek convention in Hunt Valley Md. In three days I spent over a hundred bills between, food, tickets and assorted other expenses. I moted on my bills that I would spend them at the convention. Before the convention was over I had four hits on my bills. Also since people from all over the country attend this convention. I thought it would be a good chance for the bills to scatter far and wide.

I did this the previos year and recieved my fast hit. one hour 7 mins. (unfortunely this was on a differenct site)

cylon
New

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum