TrackDollar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NHL Playoffs

3 posters

Go down

NHL Playoffs Empty NHL Playoffs

Post  Tony Sat May 05, 2012 1:16 pm

As many of you have probably noticed, I've changed my user name from Tony to Go Coyotes! This is the time of year that us hockey fans love the most, especially if your team is doing well in the playoffs.

Well, the Coyotes (and the Caps, for DC Tim) are doing really well in the playoffs. So for those of you who love hockey, keep those playoff beards going! (Mine is getting just a bit itchy in the 95 degree heat we have here in Phoenix, eh.)

Go 'Yotes! Howwwwwwwwwwwl!!!!!
Tony
Tony
New

Back to top Go down

NHL Playoffs Empty Re: NHL Playoffs

Post  Kalisiin Sat May 05, 2012 6:04 pm

Tony wrote:As many of you have probably noticed, I've changed my user name from Tony to Go Coyotes! This is the time of year that us hockey fans love the most, especially if your team is doing well in the playoffs.

Well, the Coyotes (and the Caps, for DC Tim) are doing really well in the playoffs. So for those of you who love hockey, keep those playoff beards going! (Mine is getting just a bit itchy in the 95 degree heat we have here in Phoenix, eh.)

Go 'Yotes! Howwwwwwwwwwwl!!!!!

Enjoy. I haven't much to cheer about this year, the baseball season is still young, and it does not look like my teams, the White Sox and the Astros....are going to do much this year. The Sox, maybe...but a long shot. The 'Stros?? Better chance of a snowflake in Hell...maybe they will do better next year when they move to the American League.
Kalisiin
Kalisiin
New

http://www.kalisiin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony Wed May 23, 2012 2:28 am

I just got home from Game 5 of the Western Conference Finals, LA vs PHX. The Coyotes couldn't withstand the buzzsaw that is the Kings in this years playoffs. So, I will be forced to root for the LA Kings to win the Stanley Cup (because I can't bring myself to root for NY or NJ), and I will be returning my user name back to just plain 'ol Tony. As I've heard many Cubs fan say, "There's always next year."
Tony
Tony
New

Back to top Go down

Post  Kalisiin Wed May 23, 2012 7:22 am

Tony wrote:I just got home from Game 5 of the Western Conference Finals, LA vs PHX. The Coyotes couldn't withstand the buzzsaw that is the Kings in this years playoffs. So, I will be forced to root for the LA Kings to win the Stanley Cup (because I can't bring myself to root for NY or NJ), and I will be returning my user name back to just plain 'ol Tony. As I've heard many Cubs fan say, "There's always next year."

Awww...so sorry. Hey, I can relate to the NY thing, but what's wrong with NJ?
Me, I don't like NY because their teams ALWAYS win everything, and I think it's real easy to root for a perennial winner. I don't like the "entitlement" attitude of NY sports fans, particularly. I kinda enjoy seeing them get egg on their faces once in a while. Even though I work for...and with....a bunch of New Yorkers, who have even made me an honorary New Yorker, lol.
Kalisiin
Kalisiin
New

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony Wed May 23, 2012 9:18 am

To get from Madison Square Garden (NYC) to the Prudential Center (Newark) is a shorter drive than I have to get to Jobing.com Arena in Glendale, AZ, where the "Phoenix" Coyotes play. And I'm roughly in the middle of the metro area, being in western Tempe. Downtown Phoenix, where the Diamondbacks and Suns play, to Glendale, where the Coyotes and Cardinals play, is about the same distance apart as MSG and Prudential Center. New York City and Newark, NJ are all one metro area. So, I have just as hard of a time rooting for the Devils and Nets as I do for the "NY" Jets or Giants, Rangers, Islanders, Yankees, Mets, or Knicks.
Tony
Tony
New

Back to top Go down

Post  dctim Wed May 23, 2012 11:19 am

I wouldn't mind having both of you on the Nats bandwagon. They have already won 2 series against the Phillies. More tough road games coming soon against the Braves and Marlins.
dctim
dctim
New

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony Wed May 23, 2012 4:51 pm

Playing against those two teams, I can root for the ex-Expos. I really do hope the Nats can hold on for the division title. But it's still really early. I just try to enjoy seeing a few games through out the spring and summer, and hope (usually in vain) that the Mariners are somewhere out of the cellar when the playoffs arrive.
Tony
Tony
New

Back to top Go down

Post  Kalisiin Wed May 23, 2012 7:26 pm

Can't do it, Tim.
I'm a die-hard fan of the White Sox and the Houston Astros. Which is why 2005 was SUCH a magical year for me, and it will never happen again, since the 'Stros are moving to the American League next year.

I was born in Chicago, which is why I'm a Sox fan (and yes I love to hate the Cubs!!)

When I was a teenager, we moved to Texas. I could not root for the Rangers, at the time, since they were in direct competition with the White Sox (at the time, both were in the A.L. West - there WAS no Central Divisions back then)

Now, because the Rangers are no longer in direct competition with the White Sox, I'm a mild Ranger fan - although that may change again in 2013, because the Rangers and 'Stros will be in the same Division, A.L. West - whereas the Sox are in A.L. Central.
The first love of my life in Texas teams was the 'Stros, and that's who I'm sticking with...but seeing the Rangers do well would not disappoint me either.

Now, because I'm up here in PA now...I can get into the Phils a little bit. Not even as much as the Rangers, but I can catch the good spirit when they do well. I certainly don't have a bad day if the Phils...or even the Rangers do bad...but I live and breathe Sox/Stros.

Now, as to other sports, I'm all the way Spurs in Basketball (although I still liked the Bulls when Jordan was with them) and in football, it's gotta be (yes, I'll own up to it) I'm a Houston Texans fan.

I used to like the Cowboys (partly because I could not stand the Oilers, later the Tennessee titans...because Bud Adams was a real jerk) I was cowboys back in 1989, Jimmy Johnson's first season, when they went 1-15, so I was NOT one of those bandwagon cowboy fans who annoyed the snot outta me, I was a fan when they sucked, too. But, after Jimmy Johnson, I vowed never to root for the Cowboys again...at least not till Ol' Yeller Teeth (Jerry Jones) sells the team. Jimmy Johnson was done wrong in Dallas and I never forgave Jones for it. say what you will about Barry Switzer, - Mickey Mouse coulda won a Super Bowl with that team...the team Johnson assembled! Switzer never deserved his ring. I got sick of Jerry Jones micro-managing the team into the ground....so, when the Houston Texans started up, I became their first fan. After all it wasn't Bud Adams...who off and went to Tennessee...and it wasn't Jerry Jones.

Now, the Texans had a few truly rotten seasons off the top, but they have become respectable in more recent years. But I have stayed a fan.

So for me it is....

Baseball:
White Sox/Astros
Rangers
Phillies

Football:
Texans
Mild loyalty still to the Bears.

Basketball:
Spurs, baby...all the way!!!

Hockey:
Tossup between the Devils and the Flyers. I like both teams. a rarity up here, I might add.
Kalisiin
Kalisiin
New

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony Wed May 23, 2012 9:55 pm

Wow! Backing both the Flyers and Devils!? That could be dangerous in some circles. Hockey fans are some of the most dedicated fans I've come across, so rooting on two teams so close to each other is more than rare.

I've never lived in a city (or near one) before that had an NHL team, so when I moved to the Phoenix area about four years ago, I started following the Coyotes. I was thrilled when Gretzky left and Tippett was brought in. He's done amazing things with the team. It's been fun to watch this team transform over the past three years.

Growing up in NE Oregon, we had coverage on the Seahawks, Mariners and the Blazers. I usually get to one NFL game each year, when the Seahawks are in town to play the Cardinals. The M's are only here once every six years and only play the D'Backs every three years, so similar to you, I have a 2nd favorite baseball team. It's great having a baseball team so close to home that I can go to a game almost every time on my days off if I chose (assuming they're home). And even before moving here, I liked the D'Backs. Randy Johnson did so well here after leaving the Mariners, and now Betencourt and Putz playing here is great.

With the Blazers being in the same division as the Suns for so long (now just the same conference) and the Seahawks being in the same division as the Cardinals (since moving to the NFC West), I'll never be a fan of local teams in basketball and football. The same goes for ASU. I've always followed the Oregon Ducks.
Tony
Tony
New

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum