New User - wanted to say hi.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New User - wanted to say hi.

Post  Kalisiin on Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:42 pm

TwoLiberator wrote:Thanks.

I don't care either way for the dollar coin. My brain tells me it, in theory, would be a good idea, but I personally wouldn't use them. I don't really use any change now as it is, and it would be just another coin to go into my coin jar back to the bank. I know many people are against the coin idea because it would make the bill tracking hobby much more difficult, but it really doesn't have much of an effect on me, because I enter mostly $2 bills.

The user I assume your speaking about can be very...I guess adamant...about his views. I don't mind him because we both share a similar love for the $2 bill. In fact, I just got my first hit here two days ago, and it was a $2 bill. I was very happy.

I have been getting behind on entering and marking bills here. For awhile I was moving nicely up the list, but the last month or so I've sort of stagnated. Just been busy.

FWIW, I doubt the dollar coin would create an increased circulation of $2 bills. In fact, I think it likely to lead to a $2 coin...and the lowest bill being $5...which would, in effect, practically kill this hobby.
So I'm against the dollar coin.
The American public has roundly rejected the dollar coin every single time it has been attempted to be foisted onto them. Susan B. Anthony worked out great...anyone else here remember those things that almost looked like a quarter?
Sacagewea proved, once again, that Americans, generally, do not want the dollar coin.

Additionally, the amount of "savings" to the government would be minuscule, when looking at the deficit as a whole...and would, in fact take YEARS before any savings was seen....years during which there would actually be an INCREASED expense to the government.

There's better ways to balance the budget, folks. Like making the rich pay their fair share.

This whole idea is being floated by an Arizona politician with designs on putting money into his constituent's pockets...most of the copper in America comes from Arizona. The new dollar coins would be made of primarily copper, with an outer alloy coating.

Kalisiin
New

View user profile http://www.kalisiin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TwoLiberator on Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:58 pm

Kalisiin wrote:
FWIW, I doubt the dollar coin would create an increased circulation of $2 bills. In fact, I think it likely to lead to a $2 coin...and the lowest bill being $5...which would, in effect, practically kill this hobby.
So I'm against the dollar coin.
The American public has roundly rejected the dollar coin every single time it has been attempted to be foisted onto them. Susan B. Anthony worked out great...anyone else here remember those things that almost looked like a quarter?
Sacagewea proved, once again, that Americans, generally, do not want the dollar coin.

Additionally, the amount of "savings" to the government would be minuscule, when looking at the deficit as a whole...and would, in fact take YEARS before any savings was seen....years during which there would actually be an INCREASED expense to the government.

There's better ways to balance the budget, folks. Like making the rich pay their fair share.

This whole idea is being floated by an Arizona politician with designs on putting money into his constituent's pockets...most of the copper in America comes from Arizona. The new dollar coins would be made of primarily copper, with an outer alloy coating.

That's great, but I was dragged into a conversation just like this "elsewhere", and I really don't want to turn this into a debate about whether the dollar coin is good or bad for America, good or bad for $2 bills, or a political debate about the budget cuts.

I figure it's pretty much out of my hands on what the government decides to do. While people have rejected the dollar coin in the past, there was also still a supply of dollar bills in all those other situations. If there were no dollar bills, people would have to use the coin (or just use bigger bills)...and I can't see people mass protesting something like that if that is what the government decided to do.

And while I also acknowledge that there are other more impactful ways to trim the deficit, making a $5.5 billion cut is better than making NO cuts at all. It's not like we have to pick just one thing to cut, we could cut a bunch of things, change the tax code, etc.

And before you say that there are no savings to be made in getting rid of the paper dollar, because the GAO report said so, keep in mind that the GAO report is simply an hypothesis made by the same government that has made a lot of other reports in the past...that all turned out to be wrong. I'm not saying the GAO report is wrong, but it certainly isn't 100% fact either which is what certain people make it sound like. There also could be factors the GAO report doesn't even consider that may play out, or perhaps another variable (such as increased use of a $2 bill, or the elimination of the penny) could change the whole proposed scenario.

I also have nothing to do with Arizona, never even been there...but to be honest, that congressman from Arizona is doing what any smart politician would do for his constituents. And you can bet that politicians from Massachusetts will fight tooth and nail to stop that bill, given that Massachusetts is home to Crane & Co.

And lastly, I recognize that at both here and WG, there will be bias due to the hobby that will favor a paper dollar. I'm not sure one way or the other if a switch would be good or bad for America (and please don't use this thread to try and convince me one way or the other, because I really don't care and I'm not going to entertain much further discussion about it.) But let's say, hypothetically speaking, that it was proven beyond all shadow of a doubt that getting rid of the paper dollar would be better for the country, even if the savings were modest. Would people still be against it just because of their interest in protecting their hobby, or would they think doing what's better for the country is more important? Again, I'm just throwing out a hypothetical situation, and I'm not saying the coin is a better choice. It is something to think about though, and I've personally wondered how people would support or defend their positions if that was the case.

TwoLiberator
New

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kalisiin on Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:19 pm

Well, I would still be against it, and yes, my main interest is currency tracking. Let them cut somewhere else.

And you could not put a Serial Number on a dollar coin, so they could not even be stealthed.

Quite frankly, yes, my hobby IS more important that this miniscule cut to the budget which would not be realized for years, if ever.

When they want to make the wealthy pay their fair share by closing tax loopholes, and end corporate welfare...if they then STILL need to make cuts, we'll talk.

Now, if hypothetically, the choice was between a dollar coin or cuts to Medicaid, Medicare, and social security...then I say go for the dollar coin.
But NOT until the BIG ITEMS have been addressed...like finally making the wealthy pay their fair share.

Kalisiin
New

View user profile http://www.kalisiin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:34 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top