Been on the website kind of a while.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Been on the website kind of a while.

Post  indie1015-zuyej on Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:24 pm

Hey, I have been on the site for a while, my username is indie1015. I've logged 137 bills and on most of them I wrote the site name clearly, no hits yet. Any ideas on how to improve?

indie1015-zuyej
New

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Been on the website kind of a while.

Post  Darth Slurpee on Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:59 pm

Very Happy

Welcome aboard. Please don't get discouraged. This is a hobby for the patient. The key is that the more marked bills you have out there the better chance you're going to get hits. After you get the marking down, it's strictly a numbers game.

There are as many opinions about how to mark bills as there are people who mark them.

Here are my opinions:
Arrow Be bold. It's subjective, but somewhere between barely seeing the markings and way overdone is the right point, and it leans towards the bold.
Arrow Mark both sides
Arrow Ensure some marks are near the edges so they stand out when someone is flipping through a stack of bills
Arrow Be colorful. You're trying to attract someone's attention.
Arrow Give 'em a reason to find out why your bill is marked. For example, Santa's face is on every bill I entered in Santa Claus, IN. If you have a favorite "thing", get a stamp of it to put on all your bills. If you're willing to put in a little time to set it up, you can even run bills through your printer. For my uncirculated bills, I swear by this.
Arrow Help 'em understand what to do. My bills tell them the website (one time each front and back), that it's a currency tracking study, that they need to enter the serial number and series, and a polite request to enter the bill at the site.
Arrow I personally like to have a lot of different designs. I don't want people who get more than one of my bills over time to think they've already done it and there's no point in entering another one.
Arrow Make sure you use ink that won't fade over time. For hand-printing, my choice is the ZIG Writer, available at the highest price at Jo-Ann Fabrics, an acceptable price at Michael's, and at very good prices on the web. For my stamps, my preference is ColorBox…same places as above.
Arrow I have no evidence that it helps generate more hits later, but I like to document both where I got the bill and (when I can) where I spent it in the user notes. This goes in the category of stoking peoples' interest.
Arrow Focus on singles. Enter all denominations because they all get hit, but the best hit volumes and the best hit rates are always on singles.
Arrow Probably the most important thing to mention is avoid marking over any of the security features on a bill. Whatever you do, you want to be able to pass the test that what you're doing does not have the intent of rendering the bill unfit for circulation.

At the end of the day, mark your bills the best you can in a style with which you're comfortable spending. If you ever get grief about the markings on your bills, shrug it off. More people seem to be interested in the markings than ticked off about them.

Finally, visit some of the threads in the Marking Styles Forum for specific ideas you can use.
Darth Slurpee
New

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kalisiin on Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:59 pm

I would agree with everything Darth said.

The thing is, this is also a numbers game. The more bills you have out there, the more hits you will get.

I did not get my first hit until over 250 bills entered, I believe...and it didn't start to snowball until I had over 1,500.

In fact, just checked my "Achievements"...I had over 500 buills in before first hit.

08/13/2010 1st Hit $1 Bill,1st State Pennsylvania,1st County Lackawanna in PA $1 bill serial:G80*****1E series:2006
08/12/2010 500th Bill entered $1 bill serial:D93*****8A series:2003A
Kalisiin
New

View user profile http://www.kalisiin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dctim on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:35 am

All of above .... plus ....

Enter, Mark and Spend your cash.
Take some (or most, or even all) of your typical "card" transactions and make them cash transactions.

Perhaps most importantly - Have Fun. This is a hobby, enjoy the ride.

And welcome to the forums Exclamation
dctim
New

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack002 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:12 pm

The first thousand hits are the hardest.
Have fun
Welcome! Smile
Jack002
New

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top